Tuesday 27 September 2011

Getting Your Groove Back

As regular readers will know, I am a big fan of Twitter. I have been rather snowed under with work recently so have been very quiet there lately but yesterday and today I have my Tweetdeck open so can occasionally catch the odd thread of an interesting conversation or topic whilst tying gorgeous red ribbon on some Orders of Service for Kate and David's wedding this coming Saturday. I have been sent a link by a friend on Twitter to a new blog hop/linky (which is completely new to me) concerned with helping mums to have a personal revival and getting their groove back.

I'm extremely lucky to be able to do what I love and get paid for it - for me it's not about how much money I can earn, it's more about helping others to have beautiful stationery and enabling me to have the lifestyle I want, which is to work from home, being a wife and mother and looking after my mad, sometimes naughty but always loveable LilGuys. Sometimes even my enthusiasm needs a little boost, I need to find my mojo, to get my creative juices flowing again. This can come in various ways, sometimes a walk over the fields with the LGs on a sunny day is enough to boost spirits (a walk on a sunny day and returning home with ALL the LGs in one go sends the spirits soaring into orbit!), sometimes it takes a bit more.

In her blog Kate asks two questions this week:
1. What song would it be best to play a lot while attempting to get your groove  back?
A. For me it's not so much one song in particular, but to make sure the radio's on, LOUD, and to sing along to everything and to dance in a stupid way for the LGs and make myself laugh!

2. What can you do to make your body feel better this week?
A. Even a very short walk of 10-15 minutes will get your blood pumping and even if you only manage to do it once this week it will be better than not at all.

Last week I signed up for a silver jewellery making course. Over the course of the last couple of years I have noticed that there are very few suppliers of embellishments for making stationery, with the result that we all tend to use the same things, albeit in different ways. I have sourced and imported some different sparkly embellishments myself that are not available through the normal suppliers, but I'd like to be able to go even further and create my own designs. So, the course will hopefully give me new technical skills which I'll be able to use to this end, and in the process I'll be making some birthday and Christmas presents. I was quite surprised at how excited I was and how positive I felt after signing up for this course - perhaps I just prevented my mojo from disappearing for a while, I certainly hadn't realised that my groove was in need of recouping! Whatever, I have had a new spring in my step since then and can't wait to complete my current orders so that I can get on with some more designing - especially as I discovered a local supplier of sparkly beads etc., and indulged myself a tiny bit with some lovely new bits and pieces!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for promoting the blog hop and for linking up, really good of you to do so. I enjoyed your post hearing about your course and also thanks for mentioning walking cos I tell myself every day to go and walk in the fields but don't do it often enough. This week will be different

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a course can be a great way to invigorate oneself. Even better that you can put it to use afterwards to benefit your work. An added bonus too that you can make thoughtful, homemade pressies for friends and family. I think homemade pressies are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning new things - definitely a way to get your groove back. I was on a cupcake course this weekend & thoroughly enjoyed it, and the cakes that I scoffed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until I'm walking for at least an hour a day I'd better give cupcake courses a miss ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new course sounds fab! Meeting new people, learning new skills... there should be a fresher's week attached, too I'd say!

    Great to hear you're doing something new - one surefire way to GYGB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've just got a puppy and I really need to walk him more. For myself too. Thanks for the reminder, it's so simple but it's so necessary isn't it? Good luck with the jewellery making course x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of the walk and your post has made me realise that I have totally forgotten to answer Kate's questions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mm, apologies if you get two comments from me, not sure where my other one went! I like your idea of the short walks, I am tyring to walk the dog more x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Rambling Pages above, I totally forgot to answer Kate's questions as I was a week late to the linky. Perhaps I'll do that tomorrow.

    Going out for a walk just to enjoy it is really nice, but not something I do often. When I go out, it's usually because I need to do something, or I'm rushing to the bus stop to try and get my daughter to/from school on time. I think I'll try to make an effort to go outside to relax a bit every now and then.

    ReplyDelete