Thursday 6 October 2011

Jewellery Workshop

Last week I joined in a linky/blog hop from Kate on Thin Ice on mums getting their groove back, which is a wonderful way to share stories, tips and general encouragement. I am not a young mum by any stretch of the imagination as my boys are now 18 and 15 but they live at home much of the time and sometimes even now the pressures of running a home and family at the same time as running my own business can seem daunting. I'm no longer chasing toddlers around and changing nappies but chasing up teenagers to help me around the house, keep their rooms clean and tidy, and in the case of the youngest to do his homework. Oh, and struggling to keep 2 out of 3 of the LGs from escaping the garden and disappearing for up to 24 hours at a time! Just yesterday I happened to pop my head out of the back door to see Bingo squeeze through a hole in the fence with Betsie egging him on and impatiently waiting her turn to join him! At my yell she came slinking back to the house looking incredibly guilty but Bingo with one bound was free and bounced happily across the fields away from the house. Dashing out to the front of the house I jumped into my car and belted across the fields from the other direction to cut him off before he managed to get too far - as he sees the 4x4 as the ultimate pack leader this is far more effective than running after him & he happily followed me home so got a bit of exercise whilst being retrieved (which is more than can be said for me!).

Last week I mentioned that I'd signed up for a jewellery making course and Tuesday this week was my first class. It's not always easy to meet new people so I was a little apprehensive as I drove there, but I needn't have been. I'm most definitely the novice and the other ladies have been going for some while but they made me feel very welcome and I never once felt I was asking a stupid question. I came home feeling very positive and excited by a new challenge - and I fear it will be challenging, possibly more for Katherine, our teacher, than me, as I have yet to get the hang of using the saw to cut copper sheet into workable pieces without breaking the incredibly fine blades! She assured me that she doesn't charge for blades used, although I think she may be rethinking that policy by next Tuesday! I came home armed with a couple of trade catalogues and a little bit more knowledge than before and have just received a parcel of bits and pieces (including my own saw and blades).

So this week I have started a new course, tidied most of the house, sorted out all the laundry and prevented an escape party - not bad going. Just one small blip - Mr LG comes home from Malta for the weekend today and I turned up 12 hours early to collect him from the airport, still, looking on the bright side, I did the weekend shopping on the way to Gatwick so at least that's out of the way!

If anyone has any suggestions for jewellery projects please feel free to let me know - I have one in mind for my mother's birthday in December but other than that I'm open to suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. That's great you've started your course - how exciting. I love learning new things. 12 hours early sounds like something I would do... I've got major baby brain going on just now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slightly embarrassing as he works in the aviation industry and I used to work in the travel industry so we should really have been using the 24 hour clock and avoiding misunderstandings! Re baby brain, my brain disappeared just over 18 years ago when I discovered I was pregnant with my first, it was last seen hiding in amongst the cauliflowers in Tesco's ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your course sounds great, hope you carry on enjoying it, good luck with it x

    ReplyDelete